The Rev. Wm Chris Boerger, ELCA Secretary, outlines key actions of the 2016 ELCA Churchwide Assembly.
ELCA Churchwide Assembly
The ELCA Churchwide Assembly, the primary decision-making body of the church, is a process of communal spiritual discernment. Voting members of the 2016 Churchwide Assembly took the following actions:
- Elected William B. Horne II as vice president of the ELCA. Horne, of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Clearwater, Fla., will begin his six-year term on Nov. 1.
- Approved the Declaration on the Way, a unique ecumenical document that marks a path toward greater unity between Catholics and Lutherans.
- Approved AMMPARO, the ELCA’s strategy to Accompany Migrant Minors with Protection, Advocacy, Representation and Opportunities.
- Approved the Ministry of Word and Service roster. Beginning Jan. 1, 2017, ELCA associates in ministry, deaconesses and diaconal ministers will be a single, unified roster of Ministry of Word and Service.
- Approved the accompanying constitutional amendments related to the Ministry of Word and Service roster.
- Adopted budget proposals for 2017 – 2019.
Voting members voted to approve the following memorials – also known as proposals – from the ELCA’s 65 synods:
- Repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery
- Deepening Relationships with Historic Black Churches
- Peace with Justice in the Holy Land
- African Descent Lutherans
- Welcoming Refugees
- Toward a Responsible Energy Future
- Justice for the Holy Land through Responsible Investment
- Call to Discernment on U.S. Foreign and Military Policy
- Supporting Military Personnel, Veterans and their Families
Voting members also voted to approved en bloc the following memorials:
- Life of Faith Initiative
- Worship Resources to Bless Same Gender Couples
- Ministries Among People Experiencing Economic Poverty
- Examining the Opportunities and Implications of Campaign Zero, a policy platform in affirmation of Black Lives Matter
- Observation of National Donor Sabbath in Support of Organ and Tissue Donation
- Investing in and Encouraging Use of Clean, Renewable Energy
- Eco-Reformation and Renewing Creation Care Efforts
- Increase Funding for Suicide Prevention Research
- Supporting Mission Phebe Hospital through Photovoltaics
- Examining the Implications of Becoming a Sanctuary Denomination
- Time of Prayer and Worship Resources on Human Trafficking
- Gun Violence Prevention
- AMMPARO Strategy
- ELCA World Hunger and Child Nutrition
- Affirming Global Human Rights and Non-discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation
- My Muslim Neighbor (submitted by the Northern Illinois Synod)
- Gender Identity
- Voting Ratio
- Cultivating and Sustaining Accompaniment in Global Mission
- Youth Mission Trips