Thursday, November 15, 2018
9:00 am – 3:00 pm
Trinity Lutheran Church, 1330 13th Street, Moline, IL 61265
$50 per person
This workshop is for pastors and deacons of both the Northern Illinois Synod and the Southeastern Iowa Synod.
Registration costs include lunch.
Workshops will be lead by Arden Mahlberg, Ph.D., from The Integral Psychology Center, Madison, WI
Pastors and deacons are recommended to receive boundaries training every 3-5 years.
Register online below or download a flyer to register by mail.
The 2018 Northern Illinois Synod Boundaries Workshop will be jointly held with the Southeastern Iowa Synod at Trinity Lutheran Church, Moline, IL, from 9 – 3. The workshop presenter will be Arden Mahlberg, Ph.D. of The Integral Psychology Center, Madison, WI. Dr. Mahlberg, along with the Reverend Dr. Craig Nessan of Wartburg Theological Seminary, is the co-author of The Integrity of the Body of Christ: Boundary Keeping as Shared Responsibility, published in 2016 by Cascade Books, through Wipf and Stock Publishers. Click here for a description of The Integrity of the Body of Christ, from Wipf and Stock.
Among the topics planned to be covered are:
- For clergy to be boundaries educators and leaders helps the congregation not just be healthier; it helps it fulfill its role in the body of Christ
- The psychology of boundary keeping – why we can’t trust our own judgment
- The role of following best practices in compensating for flaws in our moral judgment
- When not to follow a best practice and why
- The importance of mutual accountability among colleagues and within congregations
- Anonymous, second and third hand complaints from different points of view, including power differences
- Reframing complaints into requests
- Identifying and working with conflicts of interest
- Role & value integrity in social media
The NIS Bishop’s Task Force on Boundaries, in conjunction with the Southeastern Iowa Synod, is very excited to be able to offer Dr. Mahlberg as a presenter. If you have any questions, please contact Pastor Jon Pedersen, email@example.com , chair of the Bishop’s Task Force on Boundaries, or Deacon(ess) Cheryl Erdmann, CErdmann@nisynod.org, staff liaison to the Task Force.
Please wait a moment for the form to load...