The Ministry Support committee works to enable Christians of the Northern Illinois Synod to realize their call to ministry as both lay and professional workers by providing resources, support, and continuing education within our synod, in cooperation with other synods, agencies, and institutions within the ELCA and the Church.
Mission Statement: Enabling Christians of the Northern Illinois Synod to realize their call to ministry as both lay and professional workers. To accomplish the mission, we provide resources, support, and continuing education within our synod, in cooperation with other synods, agencies, and institutions within the ELCA and the Church.
To accomplish our mission, the committee is split into six sub-committees. Members will be expected to serve on one of the subcommittees to achieve specific tasks. This is listed below:
- Professional Leadership Conference – Chair Pastor John Hines
This group coordinates the annual retreat for rostered ministers at the end of September at Sinsinawa
- Rostered Minister Salary Guidelines – Chair Pastor Tom Rogers
This group provides rostered minister salary guidelines that are fair, appropriate and usable guidelines for leaders and their congregations, agencies, and institutions.
- First Call Theological Education – Coordinated by Bishop’s Office
This is coordinated by the Bishop’s Office to provide support leaders and their families in their first call.
- Spiritual Formation – Chair Pastor Frank Langholf
This group provides spiritual resources, guidance and retreats for lay and rostered ministers.
- Mutual Ministry and Personnel Committees – Chair Karl Bronn
This group provides separate Mutual Ministry Committee guidelines and Personnel Committee guidelines for congregations and rostered ministers to use in congregations, agencies and institutions.
- Candidacy Committee – Chair Pastor Robert Kinnear
The Candidacy subcommittee members are appointed by the Synod Council, Bishop’s Office and Chair of Candidacy. We provide funding this process to our fullest.
Members will be expected to
- Serve and attend one of the subcommittees; meetings two to four times a year to accomplish their mission
- Attend a fall meeting at Immanuel in Dixon, Illinois from 10:00am-Noon
- Participate in three telephone conference calls coordinated by the chair
- Receive reimbursement for mileage from the Synod to any committee meetings
The time given and the responsibilities assumed by members of the Ministry Support Committee vary according to the availability and the willingness of the individual. We do expect that members to participate as much as possible.