Each year, the social ministry committee is allocated funding by the Northern Illinois Synod which is approved in the annual budget at the Synod Assembly and comes from your congregation’s benevolence dollars. This grant process is the conduit for funneling your generous offerings to the church back to assist people serving their neighbors in need in our communities.
We are so grateful for the work you do and the vision for ministry you have. The committee wishes to thank you for this potential opportunity to financially partner with your congregation or community in its mission to care for those in need, serve our neighbors, and seek justice and righteousness for all people in the name of Jesus!
See the 2018 recipients below!
CRITERIA FOR AWARD OF GRANTS
When reviewing grant applications, the Committee looks for a project that:
- Addresses the social ministry priorities of the Northern Illinois Synod,
- Is related to a ministry of the Northern Illinois Synod (congregation / agency / institution),
- Has a sound Lutheran theological basis from concept through implementation,
- Does the best possible job of combining ministry, service, education, and advocacy to and for those in need,
- Focuses on empowering over maintaining,
- Shows a long-term impact on reducing or eliminating the primary need,
- Could become a model for others who wish to deal with reducing or eliminating the same need,
- Shows a broad range of sources of financial commitment to achieve the goal,
- Will be directed with sound financial care, and
- Will be summarized with proper documentation of expenditures, use of other resources, and goals achieved.
Applications can be submitted at any time, but the new budget year begins February 1. The potential exists for the funding to be completely allocated by late in the budget year. Download a form and submit the completed application to 103 W. State Street, Rockford, 61101 or apply online.
We are excited to support these 2018 grant recipients! Please pray for their ministry to people in need. Thank you for your benevolence to the synod which funds these grants!
- Winter coats for children in need, Priscilla Circle, Emmanuel Lutheran, Oregon ($600)
- 120,000 meals packed and delivered to local hungry people, Rockford Area Lutheran Ministries, Rockford ($775)
- LSSI Hopechest, Immanuel, Rock Falls ($300)
- Packs for Pals food ministry, Our Savior’s Seneca ($500)
- Youth Community Outreach Program, First, Prophetstown ($500)
- South Suburban Distribution Center, Northern IL Food Bank ($400)
Grant money for 2018 has been awarded, however, remaining funds from other unused budget line items may become available at the end of our fiscal year which ends January 31. Contact the chairperson of Social Ministry at email@example.com with questions.
- Social Ministry Grant Application PDF
- Social Ministry Grant Application MS Word
For those who can open a Microsoft Word document and are well-versed with this program, feel free to delete the answer lines and type in your answers with the bold or underlining function on.
- Fill out the online form below (please wait a moment for it to load)