The Social Ministry Committee of the Northern Illinois Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America wishes to thank you for this potential opportunity to be of Christian service through your congregation or group.
As a way of introduction, the Social Ministry Committee is a Northern Illinois Synod committee whose members, for the most part, are elected for three year terms on a staggered basis at each Synod Assembly. The following Mission Statement summarizes the function of the Committee:
To inspire and empower the people of the Northern Illinois Synod to Make Christ Known by expressing God’s love through compassion, justice, and service.
Each year, the Committee is given funding (which varies in amount on a year-to-year basis) by the Synod for fulfilling the Committee’s mission. This grant process is the Committee’s way to make a best effort at getting this funding into the hands of congregations or groups where the funds can be converted into meaningful Christian expressions of compassion, justice, and service.
CRITERIA FOR AWARD OF GRANTS
When reviewing grant applications, the Committee looks for a project that:
- Addresses the social ministry priorities of the Northern Illinois Synod,
- Is related to a ministry of the Northern Illinois Synod (congregation / agency / institution),
- Has a sound Lutheran theological basis from concept through implementation,
- Does the best possible job of combining ministry, service, education, and advocacy to and for those in need,
- Focuses on empowering over maintaining,
- Shows a long-term impact on reducing or eliminating the primary need,
- Could become a model for others who wish to deal with reducing or eliminating the same need,
- Shows a broad range of sources of financial commitment to achieve the goal,
- Will be directed with sound financial care, and
- Will be summarized with proper documentation of expenditures, use of other resources, and goals achieved.
Applications can be submitted at any time, but the new budget year begins February 1. The potential exists for the funding to be completely allocated by late in the budget year. Download a form and submit the completed application to 103 W. State Street, Rockford, 61101 or apply on-line.
- Social Ministry Grant Application PDF
- Social Ministry Grant Application MS Word
For those who can open a Microsoft Word document and are well-versed with this program, feel free to delete the answer lines and type in your answers with the bold or underlining function on.
- Fill out the online form below (please wait a moment for it to load)