Pr. Carlmark was ordained on June 17, 1956. He received a BA from Augustana College in Rock Island, Illinois, in 1952 and graduated from Augustana Seminary in 1956. From 1956 to 1962, Pastor Carlmark served at Calvary Lutheran Church in Rapid River, Michigan, and from 1961 to 1962 he served Trinity Lutheran Church in Stonington, Michigan. From 1962 to 1974, he served at Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, Naperville, Illinois, and from 1974 to 1988, he was an assistant to the bishop of the Illinois Synod of the Lutheran Church in America. He served as assistant director for the Division of Ministry, ELCA, from 1988 until his retirement in 1996.
During retirement, he served interim pastorates in Omaha and Scotts Bluff, Nebraska, volunteered for the ELCA’s Office of the General Counsel, served on the synod’s pulpit supply list, and was a member of the synod’s Constitution Review Committee.