The Rev. Hugh Jeffrey Alan Clements was installed as third bishop of the Northern Illinois Synod on Saturday, September 24 at First Lutheran Church in Rockford, Illinois.
Use the links below on the right to see photos and to view the video of the installation and the video of Bishop Eaton’s sermon.
Special guests included
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Presiding Bishop Elizabeth A. Eaton
- Bishops of Our Global Partners
- The Rt. Rev Solomon Massangwa, Bishop of the North Central Diocese of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanzania
- The Rt. Rev. G. Raja Socrates, Bishop of the Arcot Lutheran Church in India
- Full Communion Partners
- The Rt. Rev. Steven Miller, Bishop of the Diocese of Milwaukee, The Episcopal Church USA
- The Rt. Rev. Kay Ward, Bishop of the Northern Province of the Moravian Church
- The Rev. Julie Raffety, Moderator, Blackhawk Presbytery, Presbyterian Church USA
- The Rev. Arlene W. Christopherson, Assistant to the Bishop, Northern Illinois Conference, United Methodist Church
Special intercessors were
- The Rev. Keith Forni, Spanish
- Rabbi Binah Wing, Hebrew
- Ghazala Siddiqui, Arabic
- Esther Prabhakar, Tamil
- The Rev. Tammy Anderson, Swahili
- The Rev. Nathan Clements
- Zachary Rediger
- Conference of Deans
- Synod Council
- Transition Team
- Synod Support Staff
- Lutheran Campus Ministries Pastors
- Assistants to the Bishop
- The Rev. Nathan Clements
- Emily Nelson
Special music by:
- Rockford Lutheran High School
- Conductor Scott Aska
- Accompanist Mary Shore
- Rockford Symphony Orchestra Brass Quintet:
- Northern Illinois Synod Choir
- Augustana College Choir
- Conductor Dr. Jon Hurty
By the Grace of God
The Rev. H. Jeffrey A. Clements
is called as the third bishop of the
Northern Illinois Synod
of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
He will be installed
at a festive service of Holy Communion
Saturday, the twenty-fourth of September, two thousand sixteen
at ten o’clock in the morning.
First Lutheran Church
225 South Third Street
The Rev. Elizabeth A. Eaton
Evangelical Lutheran Church in America
will preside and preach
Your prayers and presence are requested.
Reception immediately following the service will be held at
Our Savior’s Lutheran Church Shepherd’s Gate
3301 Corbridge Avenue
Rostered leaders are invited to vest and process. Please RSVP to Rev. Robert Franek, Director of the Liturgy, if you plan to process (time and place of the rehearsal for this procession will be emailed to those who have said they will be present). To ensure your timely arrival, please be parked and on the bus at Our Savior’s by 8:15 am. RSVP for general attendees is not necessary.
PLEASE NOTE: persons with disabilities and those leading the worship may park at First Lutheran. All other worship attendees are asked to park at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church, 3300 Rural Street, Rockford. Bus transportation will be provided from Our Savior’s to First Lutheran and back again at the conclusion of the installation. The reception at Our Savior’s will include a light lunch, thus making it possible for participants to return home immediately after its conclusion. Please plan on being on the buses at Our Savior’s no later than 9:00 am to insure that all persons will be able to be transported to the installation in a timely fashion. The prelude music begins at 9:30 a.m.
All are welcome and invited!
Find out about how you can participate in the choir.