NEW Campus Minister position open at California Lutheran University! Pastor Scott Maxwell-Doherty is still our Campus Pastor. This position is in addition to him. Our campus has recently become a Hispanic-Serving Institution (HSI) and we are looking for candidates with a demonstrated commitment to and success working in diverse multi-religious, multi-cultural and multi-racial communities. Cal Lutheran encourages applicants who advocate for justice and fairness for all people.
Cal Lutheran is an accredited, private, comprehensive university that engages students in critical inquiry and is dedicated to education leaders for a global society. The campus is located midway between Santa Barbara and Los Angeles, and is home to more than 2,800 undergraduate and 1,250 graduate students who come from 35 countries and represent a variety of faiths. 45.2% of Cal Lutheran students are from underrepresented groups, and 34% of freshmen are first generation students.
The successful candidate will have:
· Direct experience in ministry among ethnic-specific communities of faith;
· Experience in community organizing;
· Demonstrated skills in young adult, emerging ministries, and faith formation;
· Commitment to religious pluralism, leadership development among underrepresented communities, support for LGTBQ+ communities, and cross-cultural community development;
· Experience as a minister in a congregational setting or leadership in campus ministry in higher education, outdoor ministry, social ministry, synodical ministry, or Churchwide ministry.
· Grounding in their own theological tradition and knowledge about and openness to the Lutheran theological tradition;
· Possess an understanding of the trends and currents affecting today’s communities of faith;
· Culturally agile and proficient, dedicated to diversity, equity, and inclusion;
· Creative and innovative worship designer and presider;
· Understand, support, and drive engagement through multi-faith dialogue and activity;