The Mission of the Northern Illinois Synod Social Ministry Committee is
To inspire and empower the people of the Northern Illinois Synod to Make Christ Known by expressing God’s love through compassion, justice, and service.
Each year, the Committee receives funding for fulfilling the Committee’s mission. This grant process is the Committee’s way to make a best effort at getting this funding into the hands of congregations or groups where the funds can be converted into meaningful Christian expressions of compassion, justice, and service.
CRITERIA FOR AWARD OF GRANTS
When reviewing grant applications, the Committee looks for a project that:
- Addresses the social ministry priorities of the Northern Illinois Synod,
- Is related to a ministry of the Northern Illinois Synod (congregation / agency / institution),
- Has a sound Lutheran theological basis from concept through implementation,
- Does the best possible job of combining ministry, service, education, and advocacy to and for those in need,
- Focuses on empowering over maintaining,
- Shows a long-term impact on reducing or eliminating the primary need,
- Could become a model for others who wish to deal with reducing or eliminating the same need,
- Shows a broad range of sources of financial commitment to achieve the goal,
- Will be directed with sound financial care, and
- Will be summarized with proper documentation of expenditures, use of other resources, and goals achieved.