On Sunday afternoon, April 30, approximately 100 people attended the South Conference “Reformation Fair” at St. John’s Lutheran Church, Mendota. This event featured a variety of activities for all ages.
The afternoon program began with a first-person portrayal of Dr. Martin Luther by Roger Haeffner. Attendees then had the opportunity to experience hands on learning at different stations which included the following:
- mixing and baking German pretzels with chefs Pr. William Weidenbach and Pr. Marilyn Hanson
- a review and posting of Luther’s 95 Theses on a replica door of the Castle church by Pr. Kim Lee Brown
- the press printing of Luther’s Seal by Pr. Tim Kenyon
- a Luther’s Seal craft project by Pr. Janet Lepp and members of the Mendota congregation
- Pr. Kris Zierke (conference dean) presented background to Luther’s musical contributions and hymn writing
- examples of Reformation art by Pr. Tammy Anderson
- Pr. Rodney Juell provided a philatelic (stamp) display of Martin Luther.
Bishop Jeffrey Clements was also in attendance.
The afternoon concluded with worship. Pastor Janet Lepp, St. John’s, Mendota, served as Presider and Pr. Bill Callister preached excerpts from a sermon written by Martin Luther. Combined choirs were directed by Ms. Sarah Breyne, Streator. Organist was Mrs. Rose Potthoff, Streator.
Very special thanks to the members of St. John’s, Mendota, for refreshments and generous hospitality. The promotional banners, posters, and pamphlets were designed and published by Pr. Scott Schmidt.
What a tremendous joy it was to gather as sisters and brothers in Christ, giving tribute to Martin Luther, yet knowing that it is the Risen Christ to whom we give thanks and glory.
If you have more photos of the event, please share with email@example.com.