Our mission is simple: Make Christ Known.
The synod is comprised of nearly 150 individual congregations with a total combined membership of more than 100,000 people. The synod covers the following counties in Northern Illinois: Boone, Bureau, Carroll, DeKalb, Grundy, Henderson, Henry, Jo Daviess, Kendall, Knox, LaSalle, Lee McHenry, Mercer, Ogle, Putnam, Rock Island, Stephenson, Warren, Whiteside, Will, and Winnebago.
As part of the ELCA, we are:
- Members of the fourth largest Protestant denomination in the United States
- Among almost five million people who belong to almost 10,000 congregations (2012) in the United States and the Caribbean
- Part of a church body with more than 270 agencies and institutions that are the second largest provider of human services of any non-governmental social services agency
- Part of a church body that maintains 27 church-related colleges and universities, enrolling more than 53,000 students each year
- Part of a church that provides eight seminaries across the country for the training of pastors and other church workers
- Helping to support 400 missionaries in 45 countries around the world
- Reaching thousands of men, women, and children by providing more than $12 million annually in hunger funds, both internationally and at home.