The annual NIS Professional Leaders Conference will be held September 16-18, 2019 at Sinsinawa Mound Retreat Center in Sinsinawa, WI, under the theme, The Gospel Proclamation, a Ministry of the Whole Congregation.
The Gospel Proclamation, a Ministry of the Whole Congregation
All Christians are called to proclaim the gospel. Yet, too often there is a great divide between those who lead worship and those who are in the pews. If we believe that worship is the means by which we as God’s people come together as community to offer ourselves to God, who is the receiver of our worship, how do we help our congregations to see themselves as part of the proclamation of the gospel at each gathering of the people? Our two presenters, the Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan and the Rev. Bryan Odeen, will help us to understand how we can help our congregation to see both preaching and music as proclaiming ministries of the whole congregation
Presenters will be the Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan, Associate Professor of Homiletics at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary in Berkeley, CA and the Rev. Bryan Odeen, Associate Pastor at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Osage, IA.
The Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan is Associate Professor of Homiletics at Pacific Lutheran Theological Seminary (of California Lutheran University) and Core Doctoral Faculty of the Graduate Theological Union. Dr. Hannan received her Ph.D. in Practical Theology (Homiletics) from Princeton Theological Seminary. Her published work can be found in Word & World, Dialog, Currents in Theology and Mission, Journal of Lutheran Ethics and Ecumenical Trends. You can find her biblical commentaries for preachers on workingpreacher.org, in The Christian Century, New Proclamation and Sundays & Seasons. She is co-editor of Eco-Lutheranism: Lutheran Perspectives on Ecology. Dr. Hannan has been an ordained pastor in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) since 1998. Currently, Dr. Hannan serves on the candidacy committee for Pacifica and Southwest CA synods and is rostered in Rocky Mountain Synod of the ELCA.
Bryan Odeen is Associate Pastor at Our Savior’s Lutheran Church in Osage, IA. As a trained music therapist before starting seminary, he found his passion for using music to connect with people and for ministry. Bryan has been an active musician and worship leader throughout a majority of his life. He began writing music to process and connect his experiences with God and with people around him. He continues to play music to engage in the community through events like Beer and Hymns, Farm-to-Fork dinners, nights at the brewery, and local festivals. Bryan’s music is available for streaming across many platforms. You can keep in touch with him through social media and you can support Bryan’s songwriting through www.patreon.com/bryanodeen.
Monday, September 16
- 10:45 am Worship
- 12:00 pm Noon Meal
- 1:00-2:30 pm Presentation by The Rev. Dr. Shauna Hannan – Collaborative Preaching (The WHY!) A collaborative preaching model is one way to equip the baptized to proclaim. In this session we will explore the faithful benefits of a collaborative approach to preaching and identify the risks and challenges.
- 2:30 – 6 ish p.m. Free Time/Supper on your own in Galena (*see additional information below regarding supper and the event at Galena Brewery)
- 6:00 pm Gather at Galena Brewery, 227 N Main St, Galena for fellowship and conversation. “Small Bites Buffet” provided and underwritten by the Mission Investment Fund of the ELCA; drinks on your own.
Tuesday, September 17
- 9:00-10:45 am Presentation by Dr. Hannan– Sermon Preparation IS Ministry (The HOW!) Time spent on sermon prep is not simply preparation for those 15 minutes on Sunday morning; it is ministry with your congregation and in your communities. In this session, we will identify (and engage in!) concrete activities/methods that preachers can adopt and facilitate in their own ministry settings before, during, and after the preaching event.
- 10:45 am Worship
- 12:00 pm Noon Meal
- 1:00-2:30 pm Time with the Bishop
- 2:30-5:45 pm Free Time (chair massages outside Heritage level meeting area)
- 5:45 pm Supper at Sinsinawa
- 7:00-8:30 pm Presentation by Pastor Bryan Odeen: Music to Engage Community and Proclaim the Gospel
- Vespers following presentation
Wednesday, September 18
- 9:00-10:15 am Presentation by Dr. Hannan – The Congregation’s (!) Preaching Ministry (The NOW WHAT?) A step-by-step model will be proposed in this session as a way of offering participants a starting point for developing their own process for facilitating a preaching ministry that belongs to the whole congregation.
- 10:30 am Worship
- 12:00 pm Noon Meal and Depart
*Information on Free Time and Supper on Monday evening: Trying something new! Rather than ask most participants to return to Sinsinawa for an evening meal and program on Monday evening, free time will begin at 2:30 p.m. and go for the rest of the day into evening. Due to the generosity of the Mission Investment Fund of the ELCA who is underwriting the “mini-bites buffet” at the evening event at the Galena Brewery, all are invited to “hang out” at the Galena Brewery, 227 N Main St, Galena, IL 61036, Monday evening. The event will begin at 6 p.m. and end at 9 p.m. It is informal, so participants may come when they wish and leave when they wish.
The “mini-bites buffet” includes Swedish Meatballs, Vegetable Egg Rolls, Brie and Fruit, Hummus, and Chicken Wings. We have ordered for 60 people. There will be a space set up for us, but not a separate room. Soda, coffee, and tea are included. Cash bar for other drinks.
Participants who have arranged separately with Ms. Nancy Corey to room at Sinsinawa and who wish to eat on-site for Monday supper, please indicate that when you reserve your room with Nancy.
Please make your own housing accommodations.
On-site housing is very limited and primarily intended for retired leaders, those with restricted mobility, or those with responsibilities with PLC that require them to be on-site early and stay late. To inquire about on-site room availability, please contact Nancy Corey at 309-794-4004.
The hotels below have specially-priced room blocks (for a limited period of time). Indicate that you are with the Northern Illinois Synod Professional Leaders Conference.
Stoney Creek Inn, 940 Galena Square Drive, Galena IL 61036, 815-777-2223
Rate: $65 plus tax – Deadline Sunday, September 1, 2019
Galena Ramada, 11383 Hwy 20 West, Galena IL 61036, 815- 777-2043
Rate: $69 plus tax – Deadline Friday, August 16, 2019
Program Price $131 per person (add $25 after 9/5)
Single-Day Registration $100 per person (add $25 after 9/5)
Meals: Program price includes some meals:
- Monday noon
- Tuesday noon
- Tuesday evening
- Wednesday noon
Monday evening is on your own. Due to low participation in breakfasts at Sinsinawa, they are no longer included. Sorry, no provision can be made for special dietary needs.
½ price for retired leaders & seminarians
Scholarship assistance is available through the Rostered Leaders Continuing Education/ Sabbatical Fund. Visit nisynod.org/resources/cont-ed-sabbatical
Registration is not complete until payment is received. If registering online, please send check ASAP.
Refunds are not available after 9/10.
Send registration with payment to:
Northern Illinois Synod
Nancy Corey, Synod Registrar
Augustana College – Sorensen Hall
Rock Island, IL 61201
(checks payable to Northern Illinois Synod )