February 3-4, 2020
Bishop Lane Retreat Center 7708 East McGregor Road, Rockford, IL 61102
Contact Deacon Cheryl Erdmann with questions.
On retreat together, we will lean into a variety of Sabbath traditions with the intent to see more clearly and serve more fully our wholeness, wellbeing, and growing edges. For instance, we will take time to remember:
- the wonder of stopping
- the delight of rest in the goodness of God
- the leaven of balance
- the wisdom of dormancy
- the power of gratitude
- the capacity to discern what nourishes deeply
- the place we occupy in the enormity of creation
- the invitation always to begin again
- the light within that we carry
- and the gift of being Sabbath for one another.
Join us for this gentle, creative, connecting, and playful time.
Cost is $99.
Please bring a special/meaningful “light” (candle, lamp, flashlight, etc. or a picture of a special light) to use to symbolize the light within that we carry. Each participant will also use the “light” as part of introductions, to share something about herself.
- We begin Monday with check-in at 11:30 a.m. and lunch at noon.
- Our rooms, meeting area, and the dining room are on the 2nd floor. Because there is no elevator, shuttle service will run from the parking lot to an entrance that is on the 2nd floor, for those who have difficulty with stairs.
- The cost of a single room with bath and three meals is $99. This is the cost to all the participants. Rostered ministers may request assistance from the Continuing Education and Sabbatical Grant Fund. Others, please contact Deacon Cheryl directly.
- A candle, flashlight or another light item that will be used during introductions to help let others know something interesting about you.
- A bible and an Evangelical Lutheran Worship book.
- A snack to share.
- If you wish to play cards or a board game during free time, please bring that along.
- 11:30 am – Check-in available
- 12 noon – lunch in the dining room
- 1:00-2:00 pm – Intros/Sharing
- 2:00-2:30 pm – Worship
- 2:30-4:30 pm – Retreat Session #1
- 4:30-5:30 pm – Free Time
- 5:30 pm – Supper
- 6:30-7:45 pm – Retreat Session #2
- 7:45-8:00 pm – Break
- 8:00-8:45 pm – Evening Devotions
- 8:45 pm – Snacks/Sharing/Free Time
- 8:00 am – Breakfast
- 9:00-11:00 am – Retreat Session #3
- 11:15-12 noon – Worship/Eucharist
- 12 noon – Departure
Rev. Dr. Martha Brunell has been a pastor, teacher, spiritual director, writer, chaplain, and workshop/retreat presenter for over forty years. She currently serves a small UCC congregation in the Illinois Conference and has active spiritual direction and retreat and workshop practices in both local and scattered locations. The diverse expressions of her spiritual leadership beyond the local parish are organized in a program she calls “Taking Time.”