More than 800 million people — that’s 1 in 8 people in our world today — are hungry.
As members of the ELCA, we are called to respond. We are a church that rolls up our sleeves and gets to work.
Working with and through our congregations, in the United States, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands Lutheran churches overseas and other partners, ELCA World Hunger is uniquely positioned to reach communities in need. From health clinics to microloans, water wells to animal husbandry, community meals to advocacy, your gifts to ELCA World Hunger make it possible for the ELCA to respond, supporting sustainable solutions that get at the root causes of hunger and poverty. Learn More.
- 868 million people – that’s 1 in 8 – are chronically hungry and cannot lead active daily lives. 
- 1.2 billion people live in extreme poverty, living on less than $1.25 per day. 
- In the United States, more than 50 million people do not know where their next meal will come from. 
- 46.2 million Americans are living in poverty. 
- Vacation Bible School – At Home! Monday, June 22, 2020
- ELCA World Hunger Sermon Starter- Pentecost Monday, May 25, 2020
- NEW! Guides for Finding Community Assistance Resources by State Tuesday, May 19, 2020
- Four Ways COVID-19 May Impact Hunger Friday, April 17, 2020
- Celebrating Maundy Thursday at Home Tuesday, April 7, 2020
- World Hunger Resources
- Our Approach
- Our Impact
- Ways to Give
- Get Involved
- Media and Resources
- Hunger Education
- Why the ELCA Doesn't Do Child Sponsorship
Did you know…
…over 800 million people in the world do not get enough food each day to live healthy lives? (World Food Programme)
…in the United States, nearly 16 million children are not sure where their next meal will come from? (Bread for the World)
…about HALF of all adults in the United States aged 20-65 will need federal assistance to buy food at some point during their lifetime? (Food Research and Action Center)
Did you ALSO know…
…the world produces enough food to give every living person 2,868 calories per day? (Food and Agriculture Organization of the U.N.)
…the number of people living in chronic hunger worldwide has fallen 17 percent since the early 1990s? (World Food Programme)
…in 2014, gifts to ELCA World Hunger helped support over 380 anti-hunger ministries in the United States and 250 programs in over 50 other countries – from food pantries to community gardens, from health care clinics to job training programs, and so much more?