1. World Hunger encourages congregations to contribute to the ELCA World Hunger Appeal and educates people about world hunger issues at synod events.
2. The Racial Justice subcommittee raises cultural awareness and provides forums in congregations to encourage healing conversation and to help equip leaders to recognize and eradicate institutional racism. It is currently in the process of offering a new series of Anti-Racism trainings and received approval from the Synod Council for its Vision and Mission statement. (https://8159649934-my.sharepoint.com/:w:/g/personal/cheryl_nisynod_org/EVv9B6rmUOhBn1AAUx8UpyYBozyn6DAMIEq2QlO6Y74X1A?e=WsiMDm)
3. Green Team representatives are available to provide energy audits on your church property to discover money- and energy-saving tips, as well as offer resources for potential grants from outside sources.
4. The Creation Care subcommittee began in 2016 to further study the issue of climate change and to discern the Church’s response. Since its founding, the group has prepared “Seasons of Creation liturgy available free of charge to all congregations and rostered ministers and offered a Zoom book study on the book Rooted and Rising and is planning on offering another Book Study beginning January 2021.
5. Advocacy maintains synod contact with Lutheran Social Services of IL, organizes the annual Lutheran Day in Springfield and encourages support of services for our most vulnerable neighbors.
Members will be expected to
have a servant heart, prayerfully participate in three meetings per year, support or lead events at the Congregational Resourcing Event and Synod Assembly; study meeting materials to discuss social statements and resolutions, discern financial disbursements for grant awards, and support the work of the subcommittees. Currently all meetings are being held via the Zoom platform.
Our commitments to members are: prayer, support and encouragement in their work serving their neighbor, providing connection among those who serve and those in need and offering grants to attend regional and churchwide social ministry events,